Bournemouth BMX Club’s committee met on 15 December 2021 – here is the meeting note.
Please note, the date of our AGM will be Sunday 30 January 2022, 0900 at the track – further details tbc. If you have any questions, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2022 AGM will serve to elect the club’s officials and receive annual and financial reports; agendas and papers will be circulated prior to the event.
Anyone wishing to stand should let the club chairman, Michael Whittaker, know in advance. Please feel free to discuss this with Michael. The club relies on a thriving volunteer base, so please don’t be shy in stepping forwards.
_ _ _ _ _
Bournemouth BMX Club
Committee Meeting – 15 December 2021
In attendance: Michael Whittaker, John Twitchen, Andy Davies, Lucie Holt-Davies, Kevin Cowlard, Jon Moore, Mike Sylvester, Julia Sylvester, Cathy Willcocks, Tracey Whittaker
Apologies from: James Phillips
Agenda (actions recorded against individuals)
- Chairman’s update (MW)
Update since the June AGM:
- Tarmac area completed/signed off
- Coaching Level 1 undertaken by Oscar Mc, Tom, Sam; to involve them in club coaching sessions; Carl and Tim keen to book in; Nerea and Bryn L planning to complete Level 1 early next year
- Coaching Level 3 JT/SW – tutorials complete, to complete practical (by March 2022)
- Funding received reviewed: modest amount originally provided towards bikes, helmets still available to spend/allocated for this use – shortage of suitable available bikes noted. MS noted that we had received a really nice email from Rebecca Hendy (Hendy Foundation); to invite them to a track visit and to 40th celebrations
- Lights: really good contribution towards them from People’s Lottery and Talbot Village Trust (c. £4,800 total); club bought 2x extras to infill; have replied to confirm to donors, will do some social posts (NB: post meeting, Talbot Village confirmed they would like to visit during a night gates session, Will S/MS to liaise)
- Club race series: first round went well, should expect more to attend future rounds; the club made £200 from caterers. The committee reviewed arrangements and agreed we should continue with current arrangements and book current caterers for the remaining Winter Series rounds
- Bins: JT to chase with Eddie Coope/Paul Mitchell
- Coaching: thanks to JM for creating the coaching level guidance/groups, working really well.
- Welfare: Cathay and Julia now both fully qualified as welfare officers
MW noted that everything we needed to do and agreed to do has been done, plus we won the Brits! So it’s been a really positive 6 months since the AGM.
KC noted Oscar Mc will be making instruction videos involving club riders/younger and older members.
- Treasurer’s update (AD)
Balance at 13 December 2021: £11,618.54
Large spend items since AGM:
- Lights £7,500 (see above, £4,800 in grant)
- Gate control box £800
- Tarmac coaching area (behind start hill) £9,000 total, c. £5,000 in grant from BCP
Funding and grants received:
- Talbot Village Trust £2,800
- Postcode Lottery £2,000
Other points to note:
- Invoice received from Scouts who kindly loaned marquees – £500 donation agreed
- Final income for catering at the Weekender: online bookings £860; expenditure £449.50; proceeds agreed to be donated to Dorset Mind, therefore £410.50 – agreed
- Total funds raised for Dorset Mind from the Weekender totaled £2,127.79 (including the above) (doesn’t include Poole Panthers t-shirts or other direct donations)
- Team Mind and friends have raised over £10,000 over the last five years; social posts published
- Brits plan – discussion
MW/JT to list all the tasks and present to next committee
JT to arrange BCP mtg to agree role/what they can provide
TW noted feedback on food options – pasta, pizza, breakfast essential
Major areas of planning:
- Event permits/licencing etc
- Council liaison
- Facilities Showers, toilets, water)
- Card readers – LHD to look into this
- Power, essentials eg gate, compressor etc
- Graphics and ‘dress’ – will sticker up the gate rather than install overhead gantry – KC to lead
- Track changes – discussion
MW: New gate barrel: meeting with Nik-Nak on Sunday; c. £5,000
JM: Track layout amends: JM to lead on options and report back to next Committee meeting, along with prices from Hudu/two weeks work as a base. Needs to be done in March/April.
Funding: JT/MW to discuss with BCP Council about a contribution
Noted that berms 1 and 3 will need attention in the near future, as a legacy of the Brits (tbc).
- 2022 AGM – Sunday 30 Jan
Sunday morning before gates, to use the rugby club and encourage as many people as possible to attend. Concise meeting focused on 2022, 40th anniversary and Brits hosting.
Committee were asked to consider if they would like to stand again; please let MW know over the next couple of weeks.
MW noted that it was important that the committee discussed any concerns raised by club members.
KC to set up welfare@ and to sort info@ so that emails can be sent from.
CW noted that the club needs to reinstate covid controls on loan helmets, bikes etc and not loan any gloves. MW will refresh antibac products etc; JT to double check signage.
Date of next meeting:
Weds 12 January, 8pm